பிரியா
விடை - Saarvaagan
All of a sudden, I experienced
some strange feeling. I didn’t feel my own body weight. I just got up on the sickbed.
A hazy surrounding made blurry visuals. My feet didn’t ground on floor and I
felt like floating in air. I couldn’t understand anything. I turned back, seen
my own body on the sickbed.
I could perceive amidst the fog,
some five or six persons around my sickbed. My wife was on the head of the sickbed
with tears flowing like a leaky street water fountain. Her hair stuck all over
her face that resembled the streaks of ink on a bloating paper.
On the right side, my daughter was
sobbing. Her face was swollen due to this continued sobbing. Covering her face
with her palm she was sobbing with her shoulders and her back periodically swaying
like a clock pendulum at every second.
A little away, my son-in-law,
like nobody, was staring at emptiness. The only thing that he was up to was
scratching the mole at the hair line of his bald head that is akin to the
shining finger tip dipped in gee.
At the foot of the sickbed or
close to the feet of my body, my son and the doctor were standing. My son was
tight lipped and squeezing his palm. The doctor touched my left wrist and
swayed his head sideway reflecting a negation (absence of life). Tears rolled
out off my son’s eyes.
The doctor put his stethoscope in
the coat pocket and without uttering a word, tip-toed out like a mother who
don’t want to disturb her sleeping baby.
“He betrayed us and gone!” was
the loud cry from the head of the sickbed that resounded on the walls and
pervaded the entire room.
Murugan and Kandhaiah ran into
the room. Murugan, the dog raised by me with affection. The breed, like all of
us is an ordinary one. Kandhaiah is a loyal servant, serving at my house over
twenty years. Murugan started to howl. It was louder than everyone else’s cries
and sobs.
“Tie this lousy thing (the dog)
outside somewhere else!” hissed my son through gritted teeth without opening
his mouth.
Kandhaiah went out dragging
Murugan.
My heart slackened. I yelled that
I am here and I did not betray anyone. But no one paid any heed to my yelling
but continued their audible cry or silent sob. It seemed that my voice didn’t
reach them. Then only, slowly it began to make sense for me. I hear their voices.
I see them. My own body can be seen fully by me. But they did not see me. My
voice was not heard by them. No breath in my body. Doctor also confirmed the
absence of pulse. I became different from my own body.
What to do? It has to happen for
everyone and it has happened to me now. Without intimating that “I am going, take
care”, suddenly, in an unexpected moment, it all happened. That is only the
distinction. But, this did not make me feel any sad. In some sense, I am little
inquisitive. It is one of my crazy desires. The desire to get to know ‘after
life’. That’s going to be known now.
But, seeing the sufferings of my wife, my daughter, my son, my
son-in-law makes me uncomfortable. How can I console the ones who is crying for
me.
I felt as if someone touched my
shoulder. I was startled and turned to find two strangers standing behind me. One
looked like a peasant; bare bodied, clad only in dhothi and turban on head and
another with fragile lean body that might break down, wearing a shirt covering
three fourth lengths of his arms and dhothi. For both, their feet are missing.
The man wearing the shirt was the one who touched me.
“Who are you? I don’t have any idea ” I said.
The man wearing the shirt replied
that, we have been sent from above to take you there. Come on, let‘s go.
Are you by any chance the messengers
of Lord Yama? I enquired with an element of surprise. My imagination always was
that the messengers of Lord Yama used to sport twisting mustache, a king-kong
body and the noose in their hand. I had not even dreamt that they look like a peasant
of 60 years old and an ambitious writer.
Like the ripples that propagate
when a stone is hurled into the pond water, the wrinkles curled across the ‘peasant’
face.
He laughed on asking “Did you imagine
someone resembling the character from Sathyavaan Savithri drama?”
Yes, we are from there only. He, well
ahead of your period, had authored more than three hundred stories, articles,
poetries, epics with a nickname “Chandragupthan”. I was an editor
of “Vedi Maalai”, a quarterly magazine for many years. Since you yourself
a writer, they have sent us. The man in shirt, ignoring the other person’s sense
of humor, saying very grammatically “Come quickly. It is getting late” rushed
me.
“I too wish to come along
quickly. But, it feels quite disheartening to go without consoling these people
who are crying for my sake. Tell me does it feel good if I escape stealthily,
like Nalan, without saying a word?” I replied the erstwhile
writer in shirt.
He looked at me surprisingly up
and down.
“I don’t want to trouble you. Why
are you still thinking of them? What’s the connection between them and you
henceforth? They are alive. You are departed. Their grief is their lookout. They
have to manage it. You can’t do anything about it” said he.
“Gentleman, I am not matured
enough, only now I have become separate from them. Give me some time. I will be
back just after comforting them, please,” I begged him.
He thought for a short while. “Ok,
ok, you get into their mind, comfort them and return. But remember that you
can’t stay more than a minute in the mind of each of them” he said sternly but kindly.
It was apparent that he took pity on me.
“After extending a million thanks
to him, I entered into my wife’s mind with her breath. “He left me in the crossroads
and passed away ahead of me! As a widow should I, have to sit at a corner and
gulping food down? I am not sure, how many more years I have to remain like
this! He left me, placing me in such a situation that I have to look up to this
fellow and be expecting her hands for my livelihood! Oh, my god, why do you grudge
so? Is it not enough, that all the misery I went through in my life time? Do I
need to undergo this trial as well? Only recently, it started being bit
comfortable. Within this short while, you rendered everything to dust. Is it proper
for you? Is that all in store for me having born a female…..?”
Her mental wail frightened me. I
rushed out and entered into my daughter’s mind.
“Oh, my dad, suddenly you passed
away! Don’t you have sympathy and kindness? It might have been alright, had you
been bed-ridden for days and left us. It might not have been such a shock to us.
You just destroyed my parental home in seconds. Where will I head for, in case
I need something in future? Now itself they harass me as disgrace. I ran up to
you to say so many things, but you just left. To whom I will in future address
my grievances…..?”
Her mental sob perplexed me.
Immediately, I rushed out and entered into my son-in-law’s mind.
“I came here thinking of relaxing
for a couple of days, but this man suddenly ripped off. He is a lucky man.
Without any suffering, without being laid of diseased, without any trouble, all
of a sudden he closed his eyes. I have to take ten to fifteen days of leave.
Head-clerk will talk so much as if this man had died only for me to avail
leave. I have to listen to all these stuff. In the office, work will pile up. Was
that the time I started auspicious...…?”
I didn’t like further listening
in. I entered into my son’s mind in anticipation of his thoughts.
“Dad, you ditched me so badly
like this. Only in the recent times, your writings started gaining some fame.
You just passed all the burden of debts on me. Should you not stayed alive for
six more months? I was expecting the possible pecuniary gifts on the eve of
your sixtieth birth anniversary. I don’t know how I am going to manage things.
Oh, damn, why this Murugan is howling? It’s all because of the dad’s special
undue advantage to Kandhaiah. He tied
the dog with the window bar instead somewhere at a farther place. How arrogant
is he? Tomorrow itself, no, he would be helpful for errands. Let ten days go
by. Let the last rites tasks get over. Then, I will get rid of him…”
I was getting angry. Immediately
got out and entered into Kandhaiah’s mind.
Master was gifted. Neither was he
suffering due to illness nor did he trouble others he passed away. How nice it
will be, if it also happens to me like his. I have to keep a word with
Arumugam. “Hi, you shall carry my body in a chariot like funeral coach.”
Outside, Murugan is howling. I
entered into the dog’s mind curious to see what is there in his mind. What a
surprise! Nothing was there. An empty darkness has engulfed it without any sign
of light. Akin to the water filled potholes of the roads after a rain, mind
full of grief. Nothing else was there.
I came out. “I am ready”, I
informed the man in the shirt.
He smiled at me and asked “why
are you so angry?”
Then what, Sir? At least, one
should have cried for me, thankless creatures. Everyone was concerned about
themselves with self-pity. A man suddenly passed away, what were all the things
he thought of doing, what were all he planned, and everything shattered.
Shouldn’t they remorse on these lines? They wail and sob thinking about their
own personal losses. As you said, henceforth, everything is their lookout.
Come, let’s go. Thus, I poured my anger out.
Why should they cry for you? What
is that you are lacking? Weren’t all the paucity theirs? As far as they are
concerned, everything about you already became nonexistent. Moreover, man needs
a reason to cry for himself. Is he a child to cry at whim? Should he cry like
that? Your death has become a reason for them to cry thinking themselves.
That’s it. For this, you get so angry. This too is because you thought that they
caused the damage to your self-esteem. Just leave all these. All these are old
story. Let the living beings worry about the living beings. Now onwards, what
is the connection between us and them? By the way, since you are a writer, they
have sent us. Your writings… are a lot obscene. Have you ever read my writings?
I was the one, with the nickname “Mudhukizahar”, insisted that it is
necessary to write classically and without grammatical errors in Tamil and also
proved that it is possible. He started walking by saying, come I will narrate
it on the way.
I too followed him. That, peasant
looking writer and Lord Yama’s other messenger also followed me. Murugan’s
howl, for a long distance followed us, then slowly faded and then passed out.
Comments
Post a Comment